Sunday, March 21, 2010

Flight Camp 2010.… Day 492 21MAR10

Wow! What a busy and fun weekend we had! Joshua had a wonderful time at camp. So as promised here are pictures and a recap of all the things he did.

Friday Renee and Joshua headed over in time for dinner and got our cabin set up. We shared a cabin with Tiffany and Nate along with Preston and Miss Hannah. We also got a chance to get to know some new friends Lukasj and Ania and their son Wotjek. There are from Poland and are a part of our leukemia family. Later in the evening Joshua enjoyed a campfire and s'mores! I didn't arrive until almost midnight because of work but made it just fine. We had a cool cabin with lots of goodies to eat. The only downside was the bunk beds which has guaranteed Renee and I will be stiff for a few days. Joshua of course slept like a log.

We got up early Saturday morning and headed down for breakfast. We got lots of great walking time in and the property the camp is located on is quite nice. Properly fueled up we started the days activities with Sports and games. We had a lot of fun playing cool team games like Alaskan Baseball and a challenging obstacle course. Next we took Joshua down to go horseback riding. He was very excited about this part of the day as he has never ridden an actual horse, only ponies. He requested the biggest "real" horse that they had and climbed up like an old cowboy. He had a great time riding!

The horse's were provided by SMART ( Sarasota Manatee Association for Riding Therapy) who were kind enough to bring all their wonderful horses up for the kids. We ate lunch and then headed back to the cabin for what was supposed to be nap time out turned out to be whack sports time. The kids wanted to play basketball but we did not have a hoop. Nate found a great alternative and a new sport was invented! We call it T-Ball…

Next came a rousing game of net-less volleyball followed by another new creation Volley Soccer. After our "break" we headed off for Drum Circle. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it, unfortunately it was a little too loud for Joshua so he talked Renee into taking him swimming. In the really big UN-HEATED pool. I'll give him credit, he did make it in a little past his knees.

Next was arts and crafts time which Renee always enjoys. Joshua painted a beautiful birdhouse and Renee and I made door hangers for the boys rooms. When we were done being crafty we headed out for a camp wide scavenger hunt. We were part of one of six teams, we scavenged and then scavenged some more. I managed to cut my finger pretty good on a saw palm but after a little quick self first aid was back in the hunt. We turned all of our stuff in and took a break until diner. Much to our surprise we WON! We all received cool hats from Dream Oak Camps who were our hosts. We rested a bit back in our cabins and let the kids pay outside a bit before heading back down the trial for a kids carnival and a parent's meeting. Joshua won a bunch of cool prizes at the carnival but he was pretty tired when we went to pick him up. We all headed back to our cabin for the night. The adults wound up staying up pretty late talking but it was a lot of fun. We can share things about stuff most people don't understand and it is a great help.

Sunday mooring dawned early… Really early. Renee and I didn't sleep very good but Joshua was decently rested. We cleaned up, packed up, hauled out, and took to the roads each of us headed to our homes. We got in and crashed for a while before relaxing through the rest of the day with a little hockey and dinner thrown in for good measure.

It was a great weekend and a big thanks goes out to all the wonderful volunteers and the Children's Cancer Center who made it all happen!!


Laura and Frank said...

Joshua look look amazing on that horse - a natural cowboy. I'm so glad the weather was beautiful yesterday for you to enjoy all the great things that the camp had to offer. Especially glad you added more people to your cancer family to share and be strong with.

It's so wonderful that all the organizations come together to give you all such good memories to share forever. Love, Miss Laura

Nonna said...

Hey Snuggle Monkey,

I am totally exhausted reading about all your activities over the weekend! I think I may need to take a nap just to recover.

I'm so glad all of you had a good time - hope your Dad's cut heals quickly and that it isn't on one of his 'chord' fingers.

You look right at home on that huge horse. Wonder if Caesar would be willing to share the yard with a horse?

Keep kickin butt Mighty Warrior. You are a world class Champion.

Tons of Love, Hugs and Kisses,