Thursday, February 5, 2009

Day 85 05FEB09

This is what happens when it gets cold in Florida. Our kids faces disappear. Our record cold snap is continuing and we spent the day throwing pottery shards and Legos around the yard to confuse the archeologists who find us after this ice age recedes. 

Tonight was family night at the Children's Cancer Center. We had a really fun time and a great meal. It was less traumatic this time, we kind of knew what to expect. It is comforting to hear that other kids are doing okay, or having the same kind of daily struggles that we have. It rips my heart out when the talk turns to little ones who lost the fight. The demons are always lurking at the edges of the shadows just waiting for a chance to forage. Yet it is a good thing to be remembered. 

Joshua got his port de-accessed today after his last chemo treatment, for this week. He gets to stay needle free until Monday when we start up again. He is getting much more comfortable with the whole process and it was much easier to accomplish this time. Pretty soon it will all be old hat. That is a scary thought, but I imagine there will come a time in the not too distant future that Joshua will not even bat an eye when they access him. 

I must tell myself, port evil good... port evil good... maybe with practice.

Other than the normal reactions he has to chemo Joshua has been doing well this week. We are crossing all that is not frozen that no fever is lurking in the wings.

3 comments:

Laura and Frank said...

Day 85 - woo hoo! I love the photo of Josh and Mommy. Renee you are beautiful. Of course the whole family is - inside and out. I am so thrilled that you ae able to go on Thursday's to meet and get to know other family and kids going through the same struggle against the old nasty cancer. Joshua you continue to kick cancer butt. Jarrod you are the best big brother
to be there everyday - you are a strong guy. See you Saturday. I will call Renee to see what time. Love, Laura & Frank

Jamie(Sister) said...

DAY 85 MONKEY! Its freezing outside again Joshy!!!! Oh my goodness. =) I wish i had a face mask. Im glad you guys had a good time at the center . I love the picture if you and mommy!!! You 2 look like you are having a good day with those big smiles!! =) Cant wait for you little tooth to come in love bug. =) I love you so much and keep up the great work!!! ; ) see you guys soon.

XOXO LOVE JAMIE BELLA AND CHRISTIAN

Nonna said...

Hey Snuggle Monkey,

Who stole your face?!?!?!?! Where did it go? I hope it didn't freeze and fall off.

Oh, there it is - you and Mommy together. What a great photo. But it makes me think, maybe I should start calling you my Snaggled Tooth Snuggle Monkey - kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Warmer air is on the way. I think we are getting out of the 20s and into the 30s tomorrow and maybe even seeing (GASP!!! can it BE?) 60s during the day. Heat wave - pull out the fans, shed the multiple layers, run around naked!

I am relieved that you are able to continue with the Chemo (although if I had one wish it would be that you never had to have it in the first place). Keep kickin that nasty stuff in the butt! Tell it to leave home without a forwarding address.

Love, hugs and kisses,

Nonna