Friday, July 23, 2010

MindStorm Challenge… Day 617 23JUL10

Joshua got up early, had breakfast, put emla on his port and took his pre-med for IVIG. The nurse showed up while I was taking Jarrod to his last day of LEGO camp and Joshua was accessed and hooked up when I got home. Initially he gets very tired from the pre-med and then his energy gradually returns as time passes.. He did great and had no side effects once again. Taylor and Avery came over while he still had a few hours to go and played with him for the afternoon. By evening time he was back to his normal self.

We went up to the grocery store after dinner to get him some chocolate milk and he asked me as we were getting out of the car why I had his picture on the dash of my car where I can see it all the time. I told him it was to always remind me what is most important. He thought about this for a moment and then asked, "Do you think I will beat cancer?" My throat tightened up as I responded "I have no doubt." Joshua said, "If I can stand up to my big brother then I am strong enough to beat cancer." "Yes",I said, "you definitely are strong enough." Such is the profound wisdom of an eight year old cancer survivor.

Jarrod had a wonderful week at camp and I was lucky enough to be able to go and see his team compete in the final challenge. Their robot did really well in all five challenges and they came in third overall out of twelve teams. Jarrod has really enjoyed the opportunity to learn about robots and how to make them work and I am sure that he will crete many amazing and wonderful things at home with his MindStorm kit. I am looking foreword to being wowed.

The rains set in this afternoon and are supposed to stay for several days thanks to a tropical storm down south. Should make for a nice relaxing weekend for all of us.

1 comment:

Nonna said...

Hey Snuggle Monkey,

Glad to hear the IVIG went well. Wonderful that Taylor and Avery got to come visit.

Congratulations to you Jarrod! I too an anxious to see and hear your Mindstorm adventures.

Enjoy the rains. When you get tired of it please send it a few states North. We could sure use it.

Keep kickin butt Mighty Warrior. You are my Champion.

Tons of Love, Hugs and Kisses,

Nonna